Saturday, October 2, 2010

Shining light on The Life of Depression



Who Am I?

My name is Nicole Wagner. I'm 18 and currently a student at Columbus State Community College. When I was 13 I was diagnosed with depression so having personal experience with this and knowing what it's like to have to live in a massive world filled with so many judgemental people is mainly what has driven me to start this blog in the first place.
So my blog is here to focus on letting others who have depression know they aren't alone.


What I know
Most of what I know is from personal experience but a little of what I know is from reading stuff in books and what my pediatrician has told me about depression too.
  • I know that so many people get judged everyday by people just by being loners or being sad because it comes with the territory of having depression. 
  • Sometimes having depression can lead to sleeping a lot, rarely eating, poor hygiene, in some cases self-harm, etc.
  • Depression also can be caused by a multitude of different things such as different disabilities(e.g.,learning,mental),loss of a family member, loss of a pet, etc.

What I Don't know
Although I have lots of personal experience with depression there's still a whole lot of stuff I still want to learn about it.
  • I don't know a lot of the medications that are given to someone who has depression other than the medications I have already been prescribed.
  • A lot of different disabilities that can possibly cause depression

What I Hope To Learn
  • How to cope with depression better
  • The various medications for depression
  • Disabilities that can cause depression
  • More reasons why people have depression

3 Interesting Facts About Me
  • I think this would be classified more as a weird obsession rather than an interesting fact but I get emotionally attached to my flip flops. Well basically what I mean when I say "emotionally attached to my flip flops" is like right now with my Paul Frank monkey flip flips that I wear constantly. I have so many other pairs of flip flops but I refuse to wear any other pairs of my flip flops but my Paul Frank flip flops. As pathetic as this may sound, I'm so emotionally attached to my flip flops that the last time that I had to get rid of a pair of my flip flops I threw a mini funeral for them infront of the trash can before throwing them out
  • When I was 13 I started cutting myself and continued cutting on and off until May 2010. Back then I used to think I was cutting to make my pain and misery go away but it wasnt until sometime after I turned 17 that I realized that the only reason I was cutting was to get my parents attention. It got their attention just not in a good way. My parents and friends tried to get me to stop cutting but I wouldn't listen to them. After I met my boyfriend he made me promise him that I would never cut myself ever again because he knew how much it would hurt my parents if they lost me if one time I cut too deep and couldnt make it stop bleeding and there was no one there to help me.
  • I have an iPod Touch that I'm absolutely obsessed with downloading and playing applications on. I never leave home without my iPod because I never know how long I'll be gone so I always have it with me for entertainment purposes. 








No comments:

Post a Comment